First Aid in Schools
Schools should keep a record of any first aid treatment given by first aiders and appointed persons. This should include:
- the date, time and place of incident
- the name (and class) of the injured or ill person
- details of the injury/illness and what first aid was given
- what happened to the person immediately afterwards (for example went home, resumed normal duties, went back to class, went to hospital)
- name and signature of the first aider or person dealing with the incident.
Notifying parents/ carers:
In an emergency, the headteacher/teacher in charge should have procedures for contacting the child’s parent/guardian/named contact as soon as possible. It is also good practice to report all serious or significant incidents to the parents eg by sending a letter home with the child, or telephoning the parents.